From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: rDNS
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:31:49 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>As far as rDNS, Covad set those up for me with no problems. I ended up
>having the IP addresses resolve to host1.mydomain.com,
>host2.mydomain.com, host3.mydomain.com, etc. For forward DNS I use
>aliases to map WWW, mail, etc to host1, etc. My SIMS box believes it is
>at mail.mydomain.com but the IP address it is behind is NATed from
>host1.mydomain.com. So far no problems with anyone accepting mail (but
>I don't think I have any mail that was destined for Roadrunner yet).

Humm... maybe I'll do that. I have 13 IPs and I can just have them do
host1 - host13.

>By the way, I seem to have similar connection outages with Covad as I
>had with PacBell (I suspect problems in the PacBell central office I am
>connected through) but Covad customer support has been much, much
>better than PacBell and the equipment Covad supplied is easier for me
>to automatically monitor and reset.

I've been pretty happy with Covad since I was forced over to them (I've
had a number of DSL providers, and each time they go broke and my account
gets bought by the next ISP... this time I landed with Covad who provided
the last mile from day one to begin with).

I've had a few outages, but Covad has always been responsive, and in fact
just a week ago was VERY understanding in bumping me up thru the support
chain to get a problem resolved before I left for vacation (my modem
power supply was fried during the blackout that hit the North East US,
and I had to get a replacement configured ASAP as I was leaving for
vacation the next morning and couldn't leave my company offline for a
week until I got back).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with their service so far, but I've also
only been with them a few months. Now if they could only give me a faster
connection (I'm "cleared" for 768k, but anything over 384k becomes
unstable, so right now I'm still stuck at the slower speed).

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>