From: David Thornton <davidthornton@myrealbox.com>
Subject: Newbie Question
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 06:15:29 -0700
To: <sims>
Hi All:

I'm very new to SIMS and mail management, so I've got some
questions that I'm sure have easy solutions, but the answers to
which have eluded me. Sorry for the length of this post, but I'm
not sure of all the proper terminology, and I want to be as
clear as I can.

I'm trying to add a SIMS mail server to supplement an offsite
hosted mail account. The offsite account has a limited number of
accounts, and the office I'm working with (a non-profit group
with little cash to spare) doesn't want to pay to add more, so
I'm hoping SIMS can fill in the gap.

The original plan is this; tell me if it makes sense or if we're
crazy for thinking this might work. We keep the offsite host (we
pay for web hosting anyway and get x number of mail accounts
with the package, so no reason to dump it altogether) and use
that for all incoming & outgoing mail, but use a catchall account
there to redirect mail addressed to users not specified on the
offsite host to the SIMS server. Most of the real mail accounts
for the domain would reside on the SIMS server... only those
users who need to have access to their mail outside the LAN
would have their accounts on the offsite host. All outgoing mail
would go through the offsite host, which (I think) would
eliminate some hassles with spammers trying to hijack SMTP
services.

As things stand right now, mail.ourdomain.org points to the
offsite host, and the catchall account is forwarding mail for
testing purposes to <incoming@[12.34.56.78]> (which is our public
IP.) I found that the domain on the SIMS server needed to be
[12.34.56.78] or it would reject anything forwarded by the
catchall account, so that's what I've set in the General prefs
for SIMS for now. Mail for any recipient not specified on the
offsite host is being received in the <incoming> account on SIMS,
but I can't get any farther than that. I've got several dummy
accounts set up, and have followed the manual as best I could to
get the router rules set up, but everything still ends up in the
<incoming> account instead of being divvied up to the other
accounts. To get this to work - if it will work - what should my
router look like?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
--
Dave Thornton