From: Tom Wiebe Lists <lists@imagefoundation.com>
Subject: Re: eudora support and SIMS temp failure
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:47:39 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 09:08 AM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

On the other hand, I would be willing to pay a modest fee for a "OSX SIMS Pro". If there were enough of us that feel that way maybe we could make a business case for Stalker to resume development of SIMS.

If Stalker were to do anything, it should be to instead create a version of CGP with a feature set virtually identical to SIMS; for features it cannot do this for, it should default to a "SIMS+" capability. And charge between 1/10 and 1/5 of the lowest license for CGP. IOW, $50 - $100.

I would agree here, except that we would be willing to pay more than this. We are a small hosting provider, with a lot of clients that are non-profits. The current CGPro pricing structure would put our licensing cost at $999 USD with more money to spend if we grow even a little. I just can't justify this cost and, believe me, I've been trying to for 2 years now.

I need Communigate Lite, the feature set of SIMS, with content filtering and the ability to do virus scanning added, and I'd be willing to pay around $500 for it. I'd love to pay that. If it came with the option to add all the mailing lists, webmail, imap and all the other goodies that CGPro offers at additional cost later on, so much the better. Over time all this would probably be added to my installation, as needs arose.

Who knows if this would make sense business wise for Stalker, certainly not me. I'm almost feeling confident in Postfix/Cyrus that I'm ready to migrate to it but, given the option at the right price, I'd drop Postfix in an instant. Stalker has been a wonderful company in my dealings with them and I have yet to hear a serious complaint about CGPro, aside from price.

Obviously I'm not the target market for CGPro and, given the dearth of quality email servers in that price range, that market likely isn't large. Still, there's got to be a reason so many of us are still sticking to SIMS when it's been essentially dead for a number of years now.

It sure would be nice if it happened though

Tom Wiebe