From: LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: Verisign's new wildcard records and "Verify Return Paths"
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:28:08 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:15 AM -0700 9/16/03, Tom Wiebe Lists wrote:
On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Michael Croft wrote:

So, our friends at Verisign have decided to return a Verisign address for
any DNS lookup that doesn't match a .com or .net domain.  Indications are
it's a way to skim lucrative "you missed" hits from AOL and MS.  (story:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1804&ncid=1804&e=5&u=/washpost/20030916/tc_washpost/a996_2003sep12)

This breaks at least part of the Verify Return Paths protection.  Anyone
have any ideas on how (or if or should) we fix it?  If I felt sure they'd
keep the IP the same, I'd blacklist it, but I expect they'll change it alot
as people work around their land grab.

Any way we can block mail authenticated by this latest BS from verisign? I've gotten more spam this morning than in most entire months recently. :(

The IP address I get is  12.158.80.10 and adding:

127.0.0.1       sitefinder.verisign.com

to my hosts file also prevents the new "service" from working.

--
| kremels@kreme.com | www.southgaylord.com | www.david-dodge.com |