From: Tod Fitch <Tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Re: Help Attack!!
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:31:38 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 12:19  PM, Global Homes Webmaster wrote:

On 09/26/03 at 14:59 -0400, Leonard Spell opined:

Yeah i noticed that.  I'm still at a loss.  I have set relay for
clients only, require authentication, verify return paths,
authenticated IP's as clients for 15 secs - I am not sure what i am
missing.  I just showed you one of them - there were thousands from a
dozen countries.  No one has authority to use my server to relay except
the clients - and I am a registrar for those domains - US only.  These
are coming from Iceland, Russia, Denmark, China, etc.  How can I
tighten the server down without cutting off my clients.  There are only
53 accounts on that server right now.

There must be a reason why your server would agree to relay these messages.
Sounds like you need to go through the headers of the messages that your
server is trying to relay with the proverbial fine toothed comb, looking
for anything that might cause your server to think it's alright to relay.
Do you maybe have any whitehole entries in either your router or your
client hosts list that have unintentionally opened a relay hole?

I have not seen (or did not notice) which version of SIMS you are using. v1.7 does have a hole that can allow unauthorized relay to occur. You should be running a 1.8b version to be secure against unauthorized relay attempts.