From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: 1.8b8 vs 1.8b9d14?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:32:59 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 09/26/03 at 14:21 -0500, Joe Sporleder opined:

> The admin of my ISP just sent me an email saying that spammers and the
> Direct Marketing Assoc. have shut down the RBL servers for the past
> couple of weeks.

And he gets his information from where? I'd be surprised if there were hard
evidence to support allegations against any specific entity, like DMA, in
the recent spate of DoS attacks on RBL operators.

> I'm sure he believes what he is saying, but I would find that hard to
> believe, as I'd hear about it on this list if there was a major
> failure in the RBL network. Right? :-)

RBL network? What RBL network? DNS-based blacklists (aka RBLs) are run by
private parties independently of one another. There have recently been some
high profile RBLs that have been crippled and/or shut down by DDoS attacks,
notably relays.osirusoft.com, but certainly not all of them. Also,
openrbl.org, which is a very nice web site for checking RBLs, was down for
a bit over a week due to a DoS attack, but it's back online now with a more
robust server set-up. The DNSbls listed below continue to respond just
fine.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>