From: Leonard Spell <lcs@spellnetwork.com>
Subject: I found it!!
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:48:37 -0400
To: SIMS List List <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I found the problem I encountered earlier today.  I don't understand it exactly but I know it is the answer.
I have a Mac OSX server that I used to have a couple of email accounts on.  I reloaded the server software a few weeks ago and cleaned up the machine.  I did not start up the mail server after that, however I did not take the IP address of that machine out of the client hosts on SIMS.  I didn't think was being used but I thought since I am not using mail on that machine right now I would take out the IP address.  ALL of a sudden 100's of addresses were being rejected and the IP was the OSXS machine.  Since I'm fairly new at this - could someone tell me what was happening??  Were they using other open ports to gain access to the SIMS machine through the OSXS machine?  I would like to fully understand this phenom!

--Thanks

Leonard