From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Routing query
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:00:46 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 10/01/03 at 20:14 -0400, David C King opined:

> Thanks Chris
>
> I don't have any user named 'admin' ...
>
> I did try the router setting that you've suggested, but it didn't
> trash the incoming messages.
>
> What exactly (sorry, I'm just a hobbyist) do you mean by "Put this
> above the line that maps <admin> to the real user account and don't
> forget to enable 'Verify Return-Paths'"?

Oops, sorry, I had a minor brain fart before. For some reason I was
thinking that you were talking about messages addressed to <admin@mydomain>
being delivered to a local account. Ignore the comments about <admin> being
routed to a real account.

In order for the error routing to result in rejecting messages, you need to
go to SIMS' SMTP service settings and check 'Verify Return-Paths' so that
SIMS will check the Return-Paths of incoming messages against the router.

Also, for this to work, <admin@mydomain> must be the Return-Path of the
offending messages. If you have an example of the message that includes its
headers, the first header line should start with 'Return-Path: '. If the
Return-Path indicated there is <admin@mydomain>, then routing it to error
will reject the spam messages. It doesn't matter whether or not the 'From:'
header line is <admin@mydomain> because SIMS doesn't look at the From
address in any circumstance. If <admin@mydomain> is the From address but
not the Return-Path, then SIMS can't reject messages on that basis.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>