Mailing List SIMS@mail.stalker.com Message #13908
From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Delivering message to wrong mailbox?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:02:04 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 2:56 AM -0800 11/3/03, Joe Wagner  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Hi all,
        I've found a strange problem.  I'm running SIMS 1.8b9d14 on a PCC 7300/200 and recently had a user ask me why she received an email sent to another users, with another domain.  I looked at the email's headers and darn if I can tell why that happened.  I used the router test address and it says it'll go to the correct box -- and the log says it was delivered to the correct box.  Now my servers are getting a fair beating now with a spam load that's recently grown to sometimes 15k+ messages a day but still, should SIMS be able to get confused.  Below is the header, router and the log file.  Intended domain is ABC.com, other user who got the message is XYZ.com, both with catch-all addresses:

Return-Path: STRANGERX@yahoo.com
Received: from web10710.mail.yahoo.com ([216.136.130.75] verified)
  by mail.hasit.com (Stalker SMTP Server 1.8b9d14)
  with SMTP id S.0001187952 for <USERABC@ABC.com>; Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:26:00 -0700
Message-ID: <20031102192552.15902.qmail@web10710.mail.yahoo.com>
Received: from [68.112.232.50] by web10710.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:25:52 PST
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 11:25:52 -0800 (PST)
From: STRANGER X <STRANGERX@yahoo.com>
Subject: Hekllo out there
To: USER ABC <USERABC@ABC.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

[...]

11:26:01 4 SMTP-820(web10710.mail.yahoo.com) Sending 250 S.0001187952 message accepted for delivery\r\n

[...]

11:26:01 2 SYSTEM(POP) [S.0001187952] delivered to (ABC)
11:26:01 2 SYSTEM [S.0001187952] deleted
11:26:01 4 SMTP disposing line 318820

Yet that message appears in XYZ's file.

Here is the router entry for those domains.  I switch mail.domain.com to domain.com to catch stuff coming from the secondaries mailservers which relay.  The two users don't want blacklists, so I white list everything.  And XYZ-USERXYZ and ABC are both account names.

mail.XYZ.org=XYZ.org
<*%XYZ.org@blacklisted>=XYZ-USERXYZ
<*@XYZ.org>=XYZ-USERXYZ
mail.ABC.com=ABC.com
<*%ABC.com@blacklisted>=ABC
<*@ABC.com>=ABC

So, any ideas how that has happened? I'm stumped.  This has now happened twice today. I've smtp logging turned on to low-level so couple that to my spam load mean that yesterday I had a 200 mb log file, and today it was 50 mb before I copied it to track down the error.  But slow != bad file management right?.  I've 3 gigs left on that drive

I would start by eliminating the worst possibility: serious filesystem mangling. Take SIMS down and check the disk with Disk First Aid and with any other repair tools you have. DFA will catch most problems but might not fix some things that Norton can.

If that turns up nothing, then it is likely a router subtlety. Turn the log settings in the Router and General Settings screens to 'All Info' and run some tests. Send some mail to <USERABC@ABC.com> and see what the leve 4 and 5 SYSTEM and ROUTER lines say about delivery.

--
Bill Cole                                  bill@scconsult.com

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to Listmaster