From: Jeff Folk <jfolk@qzoneinc.com>
Subject: Re: Weirdly newbie question coming from somebody that's been running sims for years
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:55:06 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Wednesday, November 26, 2003, at 09:46  PM, Carl Keil wrote:

Hi,

I've been running SIMS for years.  But it's been running so flawlessly I
can't remember anything about how I set it up.  I had it running on a
quadra, but that box died.  So I need to move my SIMS setup to a new box.
The hard drive is OK, but the new box is G3 running OS 9, so I can't just
throw the quadra drive in there and boot off it (250 megs! Can you run a G3
on OS 7.6?).  So my basic question is how do I move my old, humming along
just fine setup to the new box?

Copy the "SIMS Folder" from the system folder of the old drive to the system folder of your G3. Copy the SIMS application folder to your new G#'s hard drive. You may want to re-download a PPC native version of SIMS and replace the 68K app. Make sure your new box has the same name, IP, whatnot of the old box so the other machines can find it... Put an alias of the SIMS app into the startup items folder and reboot.

1) is there a list of files and locations I can simply move to analogous
locations on the G3, reboot and transfer the entire setup?

2) how do I confirm that it is up and running. And make sure it launches at
startup.
Caveat: I *ONLY* use this server to handle mail coming from apache on a
linux box outgoing, handling form submissions on a website and stuff.  IP
address of the linux is hardwired into the router.  That's not working, I'm
trying some old mail forms and nothing discernable happens, but there's too
many variables without confirming that the mail server is working at all.
Strictly non-profit type sites I host as favors and for fun in my basement.

3) I did this fairly easily, as I recall, a couple years ago, but I can't
remember how, at all.

Any help would be appreciated.  I can also handle it if I am just too much
of a lame loser to be worthy even of pity.

TIA,

ck