From: Hai Ng <nghai@whatexit.com>
Subject: Re: Verizon is rejecting all email
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:03:12 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I've had some similar experiences with one email account that subscribed to a mailing list who has a Verizon account.

The logs I have are similar to those that have been posted so far.

What I have discovered is that Verizon's servers are looking at the "Return-Path" information and is specifically preventing certain patterns of "Return-Path" declarations from going through.

My particular issue was the mail was being sent by my Web server via PHP, so the return-path was apache@mymachine.mydomain.tld, and Verizon doesn't like that return-path so it rejected it.

Reverse for mymachine.mydomain.tld resolves fine.  Of course, apache doesn't have an account on my mail server but Verizon's server did not perform any RCPT request for apache according to low-level logs.

I've seen other mail servers which are configured this way, they look for specific patterns in the Return-Path and make judgment for spam that way.