From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrade or Downgrade, What would YOU do?
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:35:37 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:26 AM -0700 12/5/03, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
At 8:21 PM -0500 12/4/03, Bill Cole wrote:

Switch.

I say that as someone who has written sendmail.cf files by hand, so
i am likely biased. However, you don't need that skill any more
given the m4 structure that sendmail now has, and if you are
running Panther, it even comes with Postfix instead anyway. DNSBL
use is NOT complex these days in Sendmail or Postfix, and with the
exception of the dictionary attack feature of SIMS, there's nothing
you cannot do with an OSX/Postfix machine that you can do with
SIMS, and a fair amount more that you can do.

Spamtrap addresses?

I have not set up perfectly SIMS-style spamtraps in Postfix, but if you are willing to have spamtrap that discards mail instead of the mysterious rejection after DATA that SIMS does, it is quite easy:

http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/postfix/postfix_spamtrap.shtml

note that 'REJECT' in that map would not yield the SIMS behavior, but rather reject the RCPT command with the spamtrap address. With the filter hook, you could do essentially anything you like at the end of the DATA, but it would be cheating to say that you can use that to make a rejecting spamtrap because it might well take a bit of real coding.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com