From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: Yahoo public/private key proposal
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:20:48 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>>What do you think of Yahoo's public/private key proposal using the DNS
>>and a new header:
>>
>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&e=12&u=/nm/tech_yahoo_dc
>>
>>It makes me realize that any implementation will be disruptive in some
>>ways but I guess it's the price we might have to pay to really slow down
>>the spammers.
>
>Is Yahoo working on this with/through the Internet Engineering Task Force
>(or whatever it's called) to work up a RFC? Or are they trying to get it
>up and running with a few big users on board so as to force it to become a
>de facto standard in a Microsoftian kind of maneuver?

What bothers me is the 2nd paragraph of the report:

> Yahoo said its "Domain Keys" software, which it hopes to launch in 2004,
>will be made available freely to the developers of the Web's major
>open-source e-mail software and systems.

If you read between the lines, what they are saying is they will give the
thing away to the big guys, hoping they will incorporate it, so that they
can then turn around and charge everyone else to access the same
technology that they will not be forced to be complient with or risk
being knocked out of the market.

To me that is just someone else interested in making money off the
problem, and not really interested in stopping the flow.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>