From: Paul List Hess <hess2@yacht.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrade or Downgrade, What would YOU do?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:37:00 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

Thanks everyone!  The advice, both public and private, was unanimous and best summarized by Bill Cole's comment repeated here:

At 8:21 PM -0500 12/4/03, Bill Cole wrote:
>Switch.

So I'm going to leave my trusty old 6500 running as the mail server and, as my time permits, get the OS/X box up and running with Postfix to swap in once it's set up.  Should be fun!  First I wiped the iMac's hard drive and installed a clean copy of OS/X, then ran all system updates from the software updater.

Next stop was a great link from Chris Wagner:

   <http://www.stepwise.com/articles/Workbench/eart.1.1.html>

This link provides detailed step by step instructions for getting postfix installed and running, as well as the various Unix utilities it relies on.  Unfortunately the instructions assume you have a C++ compiler which my clean installation did not have.  I went to gnu for a c++ compiler, but it seemed to need a compiler to compile it (chicken & egg).  Then I found this great project called Fink which intelligently downloads and installs all sorts of standard open source precompiled packages.  Fink is at <http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php> and the postfix package is within the fink interface and can be seen at <http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/postfix>.

I've now downloaded and installed Fink and postfix.  I have to set things aside for a while (days or weeks I don't know) but when I come back my next step will be verifying that postfix is installed well and starting to dig into configuration options.