From: The Count of CipherSpace <CountZeroI@CipherSpace.org.in>
Subject: Re: Client IPs with Dynamic IPs
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:24:57 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>, Chris <cb@mythtech.net>
chris at 2004-01-16 14:03 from cb@mythtech.net wrote:

>I've given it more thought, what I am probably going to do is very
>similar to your solution. I'll write a cron job for my home firewall to
>telnet into SIMS' POP server every 5 minutes and check a dummy POP
>account. Then with the TTL just over that, my home network will always be
>authenticated. This way I don't have to worry about rewriting any
>software, nor worry about who is using which computer in the house (my
>wife doesn't grasp any of this, she just wants it to work). By going this
>route, everything will act just as it did when I had a static IP.

I'm a little confused.  The way I remember your set-up is that your SIMS
server sits on your home network, right next to all your other computers.
 If that is indeed the case, why can't you just add your private network
to your SIMS' client list?  Of course, if I'm suffering from amnesia and
your SIMS server is somewhere outside your home network then what you
intend to do is perfectly fine.

>(Now to tackle the dynamic DNS issue for remote access back into my home
>network, anyone know of a good FREE dynamic DNS provider? Or do I have to
>find a way to roll my own?)

www.dyndns.org - have been using them for various reasons and from
different parts of the world for almost a decade, with no problems I
might add.  Of course, the real question is:  which dynamic dns provider
has the clients that you need (or, for which you could write your own).