From: Timothy Binder <lists@cyberthorn.net>
Subject: Re: Spam to my SIMS-address !
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:41:40 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Jan 23, 2004, at 1:35 PM, <sims@madesign.ch> wrote:

since Mai 2003 I am subscribed to this list.
I subscribed with an extra email-address, which I only made for this list.

Last week, for the very first time (!) I posted a message to the list.
(an answer to the habeas-header spam topic)
This was the first time I used this special from:-address.

Today I received a spam to this address !!
It's one of those well known "Dear Sir" mails, where some people in african countries want to transfer some millions out of the country, you probably know these.

Now I really wonder, where the spammer got this address from???

I used it _one_time_ to send a message to SIMS-list, and a few days later it gets spammed? What a bummer!

Any ideas why this could happen, did this happen to others before, any comments of the list-owners? Is there a web archive somewhere which shows the addresses, so it can be harvested by robots? Or might the spammer be on this list and systematically collect posters addresses?

I had the exact same thing happen, only I use a generic lists email, so I wasn't sure which list it was from. I think I know now....

I recall that someone was archiving the list on the web a while ago. If it's not spam-bot protected, can we please either ask them to start protecting it, or stop archiving it. If they fail to do that, can we have them removed from the list?

Thanks,
Tim