From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: VNC Performance on OS 9.2 SIMS Machine less-than-stellar
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:24:05 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:26 PM -0500 1/26/04, Tom Marsh  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
On Jan 26, 2004, at 8:02 AM, SIMS Discussions wrote:

I can't agree with that. I run both VNC and Timbuktu and there is a big difference, above all in performance. I am now in England and I can manage my servers in Japan (both running Mac OS 9 and X) comfortably with Timbuktu 6.03 but when I try to do the same thing with VNC it feels like viewing a slow motion replay.

I recently got into VNC over my local network but have been really disappointed by the performance on my SIMS server. Its PM6500 running 96 megs of RAM and about 75% of the disk space is available. The os is 9.x, x being whichever the most current supported version for that machine is.

The cursor moves achingly slow, and I'm even using the Java client! (Which is actually better on a LAN than any full-on "client application" has ever been for me.  If I could be neat to get the performance up to at least the level of the totally half-assed "Remote Administrator", my workday would be a little better...  If anybody has any suggestions to improve the performance of VNC, I'd love to hear it.

Ummm... Run OS X?

I've actually never tried VNC to control classic MacOS and was not aware of a functional VNC server for 9 or earlier. I have no problems with responsiveness, using the current OSXvnc as the server and either TightVNC (Windows) or Chicken of the VNC (OS X) as the client.