From: Thomas Tempelmann <listuser@tempel.org>
Subject: ASSP - needs DNSBL support - Perl programmers to the rescue?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:18:12 +0200
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I've installed the bayesian spam filter ASSP
(http://assp.sourceforge.net/)

It works pretty well but I've got one problem with it:

It does not support RBLs the way SIMS does. I'd like to have this support
added, but the originator of ASSP does not think it's necessary and
refuses to add this support.

In most cases, the bayesian filter does cover the spam from blacklisted
sites, indeed, but in my special case it does not, and so I need the
additional RBL protection.

ASSP is written in Perl, which I can read a little, but not write new
code in it.

The new code that needs to be written is this:

 A function that takes an ip address (as a string) and then contacts a RBL
 server and returns a boolean result telling if the addr is blacklisted.

Can someone tell me how this would be written in Perl? Testing just one
RBL service would be enough, although using a list in the format as
used by SIMS would be great (meaning that multiple RBLs can be tested
and a matching error text can be returned).

Thomas

--
Thomas Tempelmann,
http://www.tempel.org/rb/