From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Setting Up SIMS To Run Beside A Web Server
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:47:04 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 4:04 PM +1000 6/22/04, Robert Dorning  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Thanks Timothy for the pointers. Have been doing some reading about these matters. Very interesting.

I am currently plodding through setting up a MX record via my registrar. As the SIMS documentation is unclear on the following I have a few more dumb questions to ask:

i) should the fully qualified domain name to my SIMS server be "mail.softdawn.net" or simply "softdawn.net"?

That's a matter of taste. It should be a name that resolves to the IP address of the machine. It should be a name that is resolvable through reverse DNS from the IP address of the machine.

Note that should be at least 3 DNS records involved: an A record for the hostname you pick resolving to your IP address, an MX record for your mail domain resolving it to that hostname, and a PTR record for your IP address resolving it back to the server's hostname. That hostname should be configured into SIMS as the name it calls itself. It is configuration in the SIMS router which determines which domains (other than that hostname) the server will accept for local delivery. For example, I have the following DNS records associated with scconsult.com and its SIMS server:

scconsult.com.              MX      0 sc1.scconsult.com.
sc1.scconsult.com.          A       66.73.230.190

190.230.73.66.in-addr.arpa.     CNAME   190.184.230.73.66.in-addr.arpa.
190.184.230.73.66.in-addr.arpa.  PTR    sc1.scconsult.com.

(My rDNS is a bit odd because I have a /29 range delegated to me)

In SIMS, my 'main domain name' is set to sc1.scconsult.com and I have this line in the SIMS router:

scconsult.com = sc1.scconsult.com

If you choose to just call your server 'softdawn.net' then you eliminate the need for the router line, but you still need all those DNS records.

ii) when setting up my mail client to retrieve messages from SIMS what name should I give to the to the Incoming Mail Server - "pop.softdawn.net", or something else?

You should give it whatever hostname you choose for the SIMS server.

iii) when setting up my mail client to send messages via SIMS what name should I give to the Outgoing Mail Server - "mail.softdawn.net"?

You should give it whatever hostname you choose for the SIMS server.

There is no special magic to any specific names like 'pop' and 'mail,' you just have to have your DNS, your server config, and your client config all consistent.  I generally recommend that people who don't directly handle their own DNS don't handle their own mail service, but if you can accept the risks and  uncertainty, you can operate that way.