From: Lyle D. Gunderson <lyle@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Problems with accounts on SIMS 1.8b8 server
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:01:52 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:23:27 -0400, Our Pal Al
<opa@avalon.rockefeller.edu> is alleged to have written:

>Did anybody see my question?
>
>Anyway, I've resolved it myself. In case anyone's ever in a similar
>situation, the Mac in point had a small hard dive and over the years the log
>files grew and filled it up. As space went to 0, mailbox account files began
>to be corrupted, apparently starting with the boxes with NO messages in
>them. Active boxes didn't fail until the end, and even then, "came back"
>after I made space.
>

>the other boxes were unusable, so I manually deleted the accounts in the
>Finder and then made new ones with the same names in SIMS.
>
>Everything's fine now!

I saw your question, but it didn't "click", even though I had a similar
problem some time ago. It's because the symptoms seem so unrelated to
disk space. When I had the problem, I flogged away at it, then only
discovered the disk space problem due to log accumulation when I tried to
copy an new copy of SIMS over.

Now, I use KeepItUp to keep track of how much disk space I have, and
archive the logs when I get time.

(<http://www.vl-brabant.be/mac/kiu.html>)

By the way, SIMS logs are poster children for StuffIt. The compression
ratio is mind-boggling.

--Lyle