From: Lane Roathe <lane@roathe.com>
Subject: Re: Setting Up SIMS To Run Beside A Web Server
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:21:19 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>On 20 Jul 2004, at 19:38, Robert Dorning wrote:
>> iii) I can make a TELNET connection to SIMS over my local network, but
>> not from a remote computer. The error message I get on the remote is:
>> Could not open connection to the host on port 25: Connect failed.
>>
>> Over the local network I can use TELNET to send an e-mail to myself at
>> SIMS.
>
>Then SIMS is working and your problem is that your ISP is not allowing
>port 25 traffic to come in to your machine.

And this is not as odd as it sounds! I recently had my ISP turn off port
25 access on my DSL connection; at first both in and out and then only out.

Finally got it cleared up, but it took forever because it never occurred
to me that an ISP would do so...but in todays world of millions of viral
infected Windows machines it makes perfect sense (esp. out going blocks).

(ie, the isp theory is to block all port 25 connections outgoing (or
incoming) unless they are to the ISP's mail server; this way they can
check and attempt to prevent mass overuse of their network by viral spam).

Lane Roathe
President          Ideas From the Deep        <http://www.ifd.com>