From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Amazing, How Do They Do It?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:53:27 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:24 PM +1000 7/23/04, Robert Dorning  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
I was very pleased to finally get my new SIMS receiving e-mail and had sent 2 test e-mails to my SIMS account through my ISP. Almost immediately I received 3 or 4 spam addressed to my SIMS account. I was stunned. How do they do it?

That depends on where that address might have been previously exposed. Spammers scrape addresses from all over the place, and some use trojans that actually scan a wide variety of files on the victim computer to find more target addresses.

I haven't set up the SIMS anti-spam facility yet as I am slowly configuring SIMS and my network.

Essential first steps *IMMEDIATELY* include:

1. Turn on the 'Relay For Clients Only'
2. Turn on 'Verify Return Paths'

Those will keep you from being a public nuisance and keep out the stupidest spammers without risking any collateral damage.