From: Michael Croft <michael@whiterose.org>
Subject: Re: Amazing, How Do They Do It?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 05:27:38 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:24 PM +1000 7/23/04, Robert Dorning wrote:
>I was very pleased to finally get my new SIMS receiving e-mail and had
>sent 2 test e-mails to my SIMS account through my ISP. Almost
>immediately I received 3 or 4 spam addressed to my SIMS account. I was
>stunned. How do they do it?

I can think of at least four ways they could have your server's name:
1: DNS records.
2: There is a web server out there.
3: The web archives of this list.
4: They could have a port scanner of wide swaths of IPs that just tries
port 25 on all of them.

They're clever monkeys, our spammers are.  There is no security through
obscurity, unfortunately.
--
Michael Croft       http://www.whiterose.org/michael
SAM: It's 106 miles to the Crack of Doom. We've got a magic ring,