From: Tod Fitch <Tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Re: Attack
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:51:03 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:44 AM, Mike Hebel wrote:

This is the type of thing that I want a cheap router for: I don't know
how one can stop it in SIMS. But reasonable firewall software and/or a
NAT/firewall router ought to do it. Unfortunately, I don't have any
recommendations for a good product.

If you're running SIMS on something light like less than 100 users then
something inexpensive like a Linksys router with firewall will work just
fine.  Ther are others just as good - I have a Speedstream 5861 that works
quite well at home.
Anything more than that and I'd suggest either:

1) Building a firewall machine from scratch.  Smoothwall and OpenBSD are
fairly easy to configure for firewall duty.  I use OpenBSD myself.
2) Buying a commercial router.  Cisco has 2600 series routers that support
DSL, T1, and Frame quite effectively.  Although this would require
learning IOS.

Mike Hebel

I have an old Linksys. The problem with it is that I can't block incoming IP addresses. It does have the worthless feature of allowing me to block some of my internal machines from accessing the Internet. But not the reverse.

I have downloaded the manuals for the newer Linksys devices and, as far as I can tell, they have the same limitation. I'd rather not have another whole computer on line all the time to do this.

Sigh. Maybe it is time to get a commercial quality router between myself and the Internet.