From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Wake from sleep (doh!)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 00:18:52 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:46 PM -0400 7/31/04, Paul List Hess  imposed structure on a
stream of electrons, yielding:
I was Timbuktu'd into an OS/X server running SIMS, and instead of
selecting Restart from the Apple menu the mouse jumped and selected
Sleep.  Now the computer is asleep and I cannot access it.

Two things:  1) is there any way you can think of to wake this
machine up (I have access to the router so poking various ports
would not be a problems).   2) in the even of any strange power
outages I had the server set to "start the computer Every Day at xxx
AM" in the Energy saver options.  Will this apply to sleep mode?  I
don't recall the time I had set but it wouldn't be too bad if it
starts up again overnight for me.  I'll just have to wake up myself
and run SIMS.

Any machine capable of running OS/X should also support the 'wake on LAN' standard. That requires a special ethernet packet that no router should be passing, so it has to be generated from the local subnet or a router that the sleeping machine can directly see. Some routers can send such packets, some can't. There are ways to make a router pass WOL packets, but that is generally not a good idea.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com