From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP going deaf
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 06:14:14 -0700
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 8/6/04 at 10:42, Mike Hebel wrote:

> > Hi - thanks for responding.  No the mail.app never connects outbound,
> > and  the mail just sits there in the outbox.  It constantly complains
> > of 'timing  out' trying to connect to the server.  However it does
> > accept and deliver  mail upon checks.  I will try the prefs trash you
> > suggest.
>
> Receiving mail i.e. "checking" is done through POP not SMTP so one could
> be down but not the other.  I'm not sure where to tell you to look.  Does
> SIMS do POP-Before-SMTP?

Yes. IIRC it's not enabled by default.

> But if what you say is correct that is what it's acting like.

If it were a problem with POP-before-SMTP, I don't think you'd be getting
time outs when trying to send mail (i.e. when trying to make an SMTP
connection). You'd be able to connect to the server and then get an error
saying that you're not allowed to send through the server.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>