From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Combining SIMS machines
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:05:49 -0400
To: SIMS list <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I am changing my ISP service, and I'm loosing 2/3's of my public IP
addresses (I didn't *need* 13 like I had, and I wanted faster, cheaper
service, which comes at a price of being cut to 5 public IPs).

I currently run two different SIMS servers. To consolidate IPs, I want to
merge them into one server. Since both have 50 plus accounts on them,
what is the easiest way of merging them?

Can I do something as simple as drag the contents of the SIMS folder from
one machine into the SIMS folder of the other? There are very few
accounts with the same names, so if that trick works, it would be ideal
as then I will only have to recreate 4 or 5 accounts that have duplicate
names (and some of those I won't care, as they are things like postmaster
and webmaster, of which I get those emails for both anyway).

I figured I would check on how plausable this is BEFORE I tried it, just
in case doing so could prove fatal to the accounts involved.

Also, looking forward, I'll probably want to rename the accounts to match
the domain prefixing I do for the one server that already has multiple
domains (ie: one server runs only one domain, and it will be moved to the
one that does multiples, so in the long run, I'd want to change the names
to match my prefix system. But that's a looking ). Can I change the
account name in the SIMS folder? Changing the names of 50 accounts will
be much faster in the Finder then in SIMS's web interface.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>