From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: problem getting SIMS to relay for my apache server
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:15:52 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 8/13/04 at 09:27, Carl Keil wrote:

> >The original message was received at Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:00:23 -0700
> >from apache@localhost
> >
> >    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> >carl@snarlnet.com
> >     (reason: 504 <apache@linuxhost>: Sender address rejected: need
> >fully-qualified address)
> >

> >I have a user "apache" on my sims box.  I have
> >apache@linuxhost=carl@mail.girlwhocouldfly.com in the router I have
> >the IP address of my linux box set as a host that SIMS relays for.
> >
> >What amd I doing wrong?  Any clues as to how I fully qualify that
> >address?

The domain part of the address <apache@linuxhost>, 'linuxhost', is not a
fully qualified domain name and SIMS doesn't like that. As Bill Cole said,
it should be the real domain for the address, i.e.
'mail.girlwhocouldfly.com'

> Thanks for the replies, Bills.  Yes, SIMS shows apache trying to
> connect.

Of course it does, it rejected the message so we know it's seen it.

>  When I set the logger to "everything" I see about 50 lines of
>  stuff happening.  I forget what the final verdict is.  I'll
>  report that back.  I have apache as a client and I have the IP in
>  Clients that SIMS relays for.

That's not the issue. The issue is that SIMS wants you to use a fully
qualified domain name in the sender address.

> How do I get apache to send with a real address?

That depends on how you're trying to send the message from Apache. We can't
comment on it without knowing that first.

>  Is that in SendMail?

Again, it depends on how the message is sent by whatever
script|cgi|whatever is being used to generate your message from the web
server. At any rate, whatever method is being used, you should be able to
explicitly specify the sender address, but without knowing the details of
your set-up it's impossible to say how you would do that. You might start
by looking for 'apache@linuxhost' in your form handling script, apache
config file(s), or other config files that might be relevant. The address
looks like a place-holder default that's probably meant to be changed to
fit your particular installation.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>