From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Routing help
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:41:39 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 8/13/04 at 06:18, Alexandre Lollini wrote:

> on 8/11/04 8:23 PM, Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com> wrote:
>
> > According to the router docs, the <local> tag is for routing
> > 'Unified Domain-Wide Accounts', where you want all messages address
> > to any address in a given domain to be delivered to a single local
> > account. The router entry for that would be:
> >
> > domain.tld = <local>local-account
> >
> > 'Unified Domain-Wide Accounts' is the only section in the docs
> > where the <local> tag is mentioned so, AFAIK, it has no other use.
> > I'd guess that since your router entry had an address alias with
> > both local and domain parts (<user@domain.tld>), SIMS got confused
> > when it matched the address on a router line that tried to map it
> > to a unified domain-wide account.
>
> What I read here makes me have an idea :
>
> If as the last line of my routing table I add a line like this :
>
> espacelollini.com = <local>spamtrap
>
> I want to know if this line will make understood as a spam, each mail
> sent to fakelogin@espacelollini.com ?

You could also use:

<*@espacelollini.com> = spamtrap

or possibly:

<unknown> = spamtrap

> I have true addresses with goodlogin@espacelollini.com And I don't
> want these not to receive correct mail.

If you use a catch-all spamtrap (or error) routing as above, then you would
need to be careful to have entries for all of your legitimate accounts that
occur _before_ the spamtrap entry in the router. Order is important in the
router; SIMS uses the first match for any given address.

> If it works then sims will not waste its bandwidth and time answering
> to all fakelogin attempts.

I don't think SIMS uses the router for log-ins (authentication). However,
routing non-existent addresses in a local domain to spamtrap would have the
effect of rejecting all messages where ANY recipient is one of those
non-existent addresses. This may or may not be desirable. Suppose a
legitimate (non-spam) message is received addressed to multiple recipients
in your domain, but one of them is inadvertently misspelled. The misspelled
address would match the spamtrap entry and the message would be rejected
without being delivered to _either_ recipient. And the bounce message that
the sender gets won't (I don't think) indicate that the misspelled address
is an unknown user.

I think that for arbitrary unknown accounts, it's probably better to let
SIMS use its default behavior of rejecting the message for the unknown
recipient only, with an error message indicating the real reason for the
rejection. Spamtraps are great for addresses that you know, or are
reasonably certain, will never receive legitimate mail, but they shouldn't
replace the normal handling of messages addressed to unkown recipients.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>