From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: problem getting SIMS to relay for my apache server
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:03:04 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:27 AM -0700 8/13/04, Carl Keil  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Hi Folks,

I just switched ISP's and now a form I had working before isn't working
anymore.  It was a simple form that when you submitted it, it sent me an
email.  The mail is winding up back in my root account in pine on my Linux
box.  It doesn't seem to go anywhere else.  The error message in the email
says....

The original message was received at Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:00:23 -0700
from apache@localhost

carl@snarlnet.com
    (reason: 504 <apache@linuxhost>: Sender address rejected: need
fully-qualified address)

Okay, that's very odd.

I don't believe SIMS ever generates a 504 or that particular text message. You  need to look closer at the entire bounce (i.e. the headers of the bounced mail) and figure out exactly what is choking. It does not look like SIMS. In fact, it looks VERY MUCH like Postfix, which issues precisely that sort of message when set to reject mail without a FQDN in the sender address. That message seems to be saying that mail intended for carl@snarlnet.com could not be delivered because some Postfix machine disliked apache@localhost as a sender. In fact,  the single MX record for snarlnet.com points to a machine that answers as Postfix.

For what it is worth, SIMS will take an address quite literally, so if it can resolve the domain part it will accept the message, but if it cannot do so it will reject it. This is only true if Verify Return Paths is on: otherwise it does no sender checking.

I have a user "apache" on my sims box.  I have
apache@linuxhost=carl@mail.girlwhocouldfly.com in the router
I have the IP address of my linux box set as a host that SIMS relays for.

What amd I doing wrong?  Any clues as to how I fully qualify that address?

[...]

  I've looked in php.ini and the settings there all say #For Win32 only.  Not much I can set there apparently.  Any ideas what to change in SendMail config if that's the answer.  I've stuck everything I can think of in the aliases, hosts to relay for, domain masquerading, etc.

I'm not completely certain what is going on here, but you may get something out of proper masquerading settings that force unqualified local senders to get re-written as coming from a proper domain. You also need to look at whatever PHP file is handling that form and see if there is a setting inside there (probably NOT the general php.ini file) to make that PHP program use a specific sender address. If there is no such configurability, I'd look for some more intelligently written program to handle the form.