From: Timothy Binder <lists@cyberthorn.net>
Subject: Re: SIMS and IPNetRouter
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:28:23 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Aug 14, 2004, at 10:26 PM, Bob Smith wrote:

My small network that hosts a handful of low traffic domains on antique Macs has performed almost flawlessly for several years now... so its time to mess it up.  I've moved to a new physical location and have shuffled hardware in the process.  I have some newer hardware (older G4s) to replace the 7200s that have been running things for a while. I've always run SIMS (1.8b8 is what's currently installed) behind IPNETRouter (v1.6.8) on a separate machine.  I seem to recall way back when I set all this up originally on an earlier version of IPNetRouter that there was an issue running SIMS (or maybe it was EIMS) on the same box.  I can't find anything on that now. I'd like to run SIMS, QuickDNS and IPNetRouter on the same box if possible.  Are any of you doing that?  Comments?

I had problems with my system crashing semi-regularly, but that was with multiple apps running, not just IPNR & SIMS. I ended up putting SIMS on its own box, since it was a critical service for me. What really gave me the best stability was setting the box to reboot nightly, just after midnight. Yes, it meant a couple of minutes downtime daily. However, it has never locked up on me since. Of course, this box is an old 7100, so that might be part of the problem. I don't blame SIMS -- the reboot was just the easiest fix to implement.