De: Bob Smith <lists@accurateimage.org>
Sujet: Re: SIMS and IPNetRouter
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:22:36 -0500
A: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Aug 15, 2004, at 2:52 AM, Michael J. Stango wrote:

'm running SIMS, IPNetRouter, IPNetSentry and MacDNS on the same box, a
G3-upgraded Power Mac 7600. It needs a reboot about once every week to ten
days, I think due to a memory leak in MacDNS. Not too concerned about that,
since I'll be migrating to a G4 running OS X Server in the next few months.

Yes, MacDNS is the culprit.  I ran it for at few years as my local network DNS.  I ended up using something like iDo Script Scheduler to reboot the machine every few days.  I've had SIMS running alongside other simple programs on very simple hardware for months at a time without rebooting.

I'm in the process of moving to OS-X server that I put onto one of the G-4s that Apple is currently closing out on the Apple Store.  I'll have my hands full trying to master some aspects of a fairly complex new e-commerce web setup.  So I'm not going to mess with a new mail setup as well.  I'll keep SIMs happily humming along.  I just want to migrate it to a slightly newer piece of hardware.

The first year of running my own web presence I had everything... ASIP web, mail and file services... IPNETRouter, IPNetSentry and MacDNS running on the same 7600.  It worked quite reliably for about a year until I discovered the open relay vulnerabilities of ASIP mail.  That's when I discovered SIMS.  I started moving things to separate boxes just so I could work on one without taking down every other service on my network.

I seem to recall from those earlier days that there was a problem with IPNetRouter on the same machine as one of the common mail servers.  Based on comments here I guess its not SIMS.  I'll give this a go later today.  Thanks for the comments.

Bob Smith
Accurate Image
Waco, TX

S'abonner aux messages S'abonner aux sommaires S'abonner aux indexes Se désabonner Ecrire un email au responsable de la liste