From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: SMTP Delay
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:40:48 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 22 Aug 2004, at 15:18, Bill Cole wrote:
At 11:16 AM -0700 8/21/04, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Is this delay right at the very start, before accepting an initial
SMTP connection? Or is it just a delay after the connection is
established but before the mail is accepted -- like the delay
introduced by the use of too many RBLs?

Just about any delay works. The delay from SIMS doing a lot of DNSBL lookups is in a good place.

I've found that a temp reject of about 5 minutes works very very well, but anything under 90 seconds is not at all effective.  But that's a bit different than simply a delayed response.  The trouble is trying to time the delay to be over 30 seconds and under a minute, because at a minute a lot of sites will drop the connection.

--
<Athene> we all have our moments when we lose it
<Slyspy> the key is though, to conceal the evidence before the police arrive