From: Paul List Hess <hess2@yacht.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Delay
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:11:59 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 5:18 PM -0400 8/22/04, Bill Cole wrote:
>At 11:16 AM -0700 8/21/04, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
>>Is this delay right at the very start, before accepting an initial
>>SMTP connection? Or is it just a delay after the connection is
>>established but before the mail is accepted -- like the delay
>>introduced by the use of too many RBLs?
>
>Just about any delay works. The delay from SIMS doing a lot of DNSBL lookups is in a good place.

Are these delays additive, or "longest pole in the tent"?  We're thinking of switching to Communigate and configuring it with a 25 or so second delay as several have suggested, to frustrate/clog the spammers but also allow verizon to make it through.  However if we do this PLUS several RBL's will we then be pushed over 30?

[sorry if the CGPro question is slightly off topic, but whether or not RBLs are additive delays to each other is relevant to everone]