From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Delay
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:57:15 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:39 AM -0600 8/23/04, Lyle D. Gunderson wrote:
>The term I've used for what you are describing is a Teergrube (in
>English, tarpit):
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarpit_%28computing%29>
>

>>Does SIMS in fact wait for responses from each RBL that is queried?
>
>I believe it does, from watching logs. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Well, it cannot wait forever. Something must time out, if a queried server does not respond. Otherwise, SIMS might not ever accept any mail, if just one RBL server is down. I guess my question should have been: What is the timeout on a RBL query and, if other RBLs report no problem, will SIMS accept mail in the absence of some responses?

>>I then add the address of this daemon to my RBL list and thereby implement
>>a 30-second delay which SIMS is otherwise not capable of. (Or would
>>caching of responses cause this to fail?)
>
>When you started talking about a tarpit on this list, the approach you
>are describing is what popped into my head as well. Just a DNS server
>that takes 30 seconds to say "I dunno".

Anyone know how to implement this? Perhaps, come up with URLs for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30-second delays. The Users of SIMS and other servers without the built-in ability to add a SMTP delay could then choose the delay desired based on the URL.

>Imagine if every SMTP server had a tarpit.

Yeah, if a general-purpose daemon, as described above, could just wait X seconds before responding, then every SMTP server *could* have a tarpit. Certainly there's gotta be someone at one of the better RBLs who would be receptive to implementing this... Whom do I contact, hat in hand, and ask for this pittance?  ;)