From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Delay
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:08:57 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:57 AM -0700 8/23/04, Warren Michelsen wrote:
At 10:39 AM -0600 8/23/04, Lyle D. Gunderson wrote:
The term I've used for what you are describing is a Teergrube (in
English, tarpit):

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarpit_%28computing%29>

Does SIMS in fact wait for responses from each RBL that is queried?

I believe it does, from watching logs. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Well, it cannot wait forever. Something must time out, if a queried
server does not respond. Otherwise, SIMS might not ever accept any
mail, if just one RBL server is down. I guess my question should
have been: What is the timeout on a RBL query and, if other RBLs
report no problem, will SIMS accept mail in the absence of some

Yes. The DNS resolver in the OS has a timeout that I think is 60 seconds on MacOS. SIMS only rejects if there is an actual hit on a blacklist, not if there is a failure of the list's server to respond.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com