From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Help with AOL
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:39:02 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 5:36 PM -0500 9/27/04, Lane Roathe  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Hi,

A while back (not sure exactly when, but been a couple months probably)
we started to have problems sending emails to AOL users, but it was rare
and aol users were not a priority.

Lately however all email to AOL is being rejected with this message:

Failed to deliver your message to xxx@aol.com:
SMTP: The host does not maintain the SMTP mail service
Cannot speak with 'mailin-02.mx.aol.com' for 5 hours.

Final-Recipient: rfc822; xxxaol.com
Action: failed

I'm hoping one of you will be able to shed light on why this is occuring
and how to solve it :)

There's missing useful information, including the headers of that bounce which would indicate definitively what machine generated the bounce and so was the one having the trouble talking to the AOL mail server.

However, I'm going to guess that you have a fairly simple mail setup, and the problem is with the machine at 24.155.83.246. That looks a lot like a typical cable modem-connected system, even though a close look at how your provider has it registered indicates that it is statically assigned. AOL might not have noticed that, particularly since the reverse DNS for that address  is generic. This sort of setup  plus one recipient hitting the 'spam' button is a good way to get AOL's automated systems to start shunning you. As  a first step, I'd suggest getting that reverse DNS fixed (talk to your ISP) and after that you probably want to walk through whatever steps AOL is currently recommending at http://postmaster.aol.com.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com