From: Robert Brenstein <rjb@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject: address substitutions puzzle
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:40:10 +0200
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I have a strange problem that I am trying to solve and would appreciate input.

The problem is that some (not all) emails sent by macjordomo come to users with wrong domain. I feel that it is university's central (frontend) server messing this up but people there claim it is not possible. So I am trying to figure out at which stage the bogus domain appears.

I have turned on SMTP logging to the max and have seen that a subscription confirmation message was sent as

MAIL From: <listmaster@psych.uni-potsdam.de>

It arrived to the user with