From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: verify return paths
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:56:35 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:33 AM -0500 10/18/04, billc_lists@greenbuilder.com  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Hi remaining SIMS users,

I'm curious... where in the order of things does "verify return paths" get executed?

'Verify Return Paths' in SIMS parlance means that SIMS checks the domain part of the envelope sender (aka  'Return Path') for valid DNS records. If the DNS records for that domain are such that no attempt to deliver mail for the domain could be made, SIMS rejects the message in SMTP after the MAIL command.

I'm apparently getting some problems with it in combination with ASSP.  When ASSP gets a bogus return path, SIMS sees it as coming from the ASSP address (ASSP's IP is in the client hosts list)

I am not directly familiar with ASSP (frankly I've never seen any reason to consider it...) but this sounds like a bug in it or a serious misconfiguration.

I'm considering turning it off for a bit and seeing if that helps ASSP keep from clogging up when bogus return paths come through, which I think is currently the case.  If it comes into play before the RBLs, I figure that the RBLs will still catch the majority of the junk...

If I understand ASSP correctly, the RBL's would only be useful in ASSP, not in SIMS, because ASSP sits between SIMS and the world. Frankly, anything claiming to be an anti-spam proxy which doesn't do the same sort of verification SIMS does needs to be reconsidered, as that check is harmless and simple to implement.