From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: verify return paths
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:10:19 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:47 AM -0700 10/18/04, Warren Michelsen wrote:
At 3:33 AM -0500 10/18/04, billc_lists@greenbuilder.com wrote:
Hi remaining SIMS users,

I'm curious... where in the order of things does "verify return paths" get executed?

I'm apparently getting some problems with it in combination with ASSP.  When ASSP gets a bogus return path, SIMS sees it as coming from the ASSP address (ASSP's IP is in the client hosts list)

I'm considering turning it off for a bit and seeing if that helps ASSP keep from clogging up when bogus return paths come through, which I think is currently the case.  If it comes into play before the RBLs, I figure that the RBLs will still catch the majority of the junk...

Actually, I think the RBLs are rendered useless. All the mail now comes from the ASSP IP address, not from the original (blacklisted) IPs.

True, if you run everything through ASSP.

Due to a problem I'm having with ASSP becoming unavailable for periods of time  - which appear to coincide with floods of unverifiable return path attempts - I've only moved *some* of my domains over to ASSP.  The rest (including my main greenbuilder.com domain) are still going directly to SIMS.  I want to make sure that I'm not going to hurt those direct-to-SIMS domains badly by turning Verify Return Paths off temporarily.