From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: The continuing ASSP saga
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:01:51 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hi all,

I'm continuing to experience periodic slowdown problems with my ASSP/SIMS setup, especially when sending out large files.  Tonight I did a test where I sent an identical outgoing message w/attachment via POP through SIMS from one machine and via ASSP=>SIMS (an SMTP connection between the two) from another machine at the same time. The ASSP=>SIMS version was substantially slower - like over a minute to transfer less than half the attachment, vs 3 seconds via the POP connection.

I then fired up a second SIMS on another machine.  There was no other traffic to deal with obviously and the machine has a faster CPU - 450mhz vs 200 or so.  The transfer took substantially less time, and though it was still a tad slower than the direct POP connection it was acceptable.

Short of having a second SIMS server running all the time or getting a screaming fast CPU for my regular SIMS, is there anything I can do to speed up the ASSP to SIMS smtp connection?  I had previously boosted the RAM allocation to about 20mb and just now bumped it up to 40.  SMTP receiving channels are set to 250 for TCP, zero for appletalk, and 250 for Host Channel Limit. There were nowhere near 250 connections at the time of testing - maybe 10 or 15 at the most.

Thanks for any tips.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>