From: Alexandre Lollini <alex2@espacelollini.com>
Subject: Re: SIMS and RBLs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:50:18 +0100
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
on 11/18/04 11:54 PM, David C King <dck@the-wire.com> wrote:

> Interesting ... I didn't know that you could add a 'rejected' comment
> to the RBLs. Thanks for that.

I do not recommend the use of 'rejected' comment as it :

1- waste a lot of upward bandwidth, and swiching time
2- it tells the spammer that its mail hit something

With rejected information I would sent 1000's outbound email
I do not whant my computer to overheat for spam.

I use only 3 main rbls which scores (yesterday 22 nov 2004) :

dnsbl.sorbs.net    1095 catch
relays.ordb.org     102 catch
rhsbl.sorbs.net       1 catch
combined.njabl.org  261 catch

(maybe I can re-order them but how ?)

Other blocked :

Bad return path    1080 catch
Spamtraped !       5654 catch my favorite :-)

Total line in the log 45567

In my case (I have only 2 valid email addresses on my server)
The most effective way of antispam was to change old email for new ones,
then turn old email into spamtraps, with 3 month test period to ensure
everybody now use the new email.

About 'rejected' comments I had a trial period of 4 month to see if someone
was receiving these and created a webpage for this and also a mailbox
mailproblem@espacelollini.com for that.
I received 0 mail here, so I turned off the auto answers.

The rbls I use are pretty loose, I get some spam anyway.
But  I want to be sure not to miss a good mail.

I fear country specific rbls because I have customers really from all over
the work, including china, cz, etc. which are heavy spammer country.
If you have advice to improve my already not bad settings do not hesitate to
send.

greeeetings
--

Alexandre Lollini -------------- alex2@espacelollini.com