From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Tagged Addresses, was: Re: SIMS and RBLs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:32:56 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:10 AM -0700 11/22/04, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
At 8:50 AM -0500 11/22/04, Bill Cole issued a series of ones and
zeros which decoded as:

One of the best tools I have for making sure that legitimate mail
gets in while keeping out the flood of garbage is tagged addresses.
SIMS does not have automatic support for tagging, but it is easy to
set up in the router, like this:

<realaddress-*@blacklisted> = realaddress-*
<realaddress-badtag1> = spamtrap
<realaddress-badtag2> = spamtrap
<realaddress-*> = realaddress

Please, can you explain 'tagging' with an example?

Some years ago I switched my domain registrations away from the slimeballs at Verisign/NSI and provided my new registrar with a tagged address: bill-domdir@scconsult.com. Within a year, the spammers had scraped that out of the whois database and the address was getting a dozen spams a day. I turned it into a spamtrap with this line in the router in between the blacklist exemption and the detagging:

<bill-domdir> = spamtrap

Now, if someone mails bill-domdir@scconmsult.com, they hit a spamtrap. Dozens of spammers do this every day, years after the address became a trap.

If you give out addresses with tags, mail to them gets past
blacklisting, but if specific tags get compromised you can turn
them into spamtraps. I've used the same 2 base addresses for a
decade on publicly posted stuff, but for the past few years I've
been only giving out tagged addresses to specific business and
personal contacts. This way, I can be sure that their mail evades
the blacklists I use AND if those specific tagged addresses get
spread to spammers, I can know where it came from and cease
dealing with whoever is handing my address out.

So I'd use, for example, "Warren-123@mdcclxxvi.com" for
corresponding with a particular client or entity?

Yes. Note that you can use any string you like as the tag identifier. Traditionally, sendmail used '+' and SIMS could use anything that could be expressed in the router.

I'm also now using subdomain-based tagging in a slightly different way, because it is more likely to be portable to Postfix when I get around to migrating.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com