From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: SIMS and RBLs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:44:15 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 22 Nov 2004, at 01:50, Alexandre Lollini wrote:
on 11/18/04 11:54 PM, David C King <dck@the-wire.com> wrote:

Interesting ... I didn't know that you could add a 'rejected' comment
to the RBLs. Thanks for that.

I do not recommend the use of 'rejected' comment as it :

1- waste a lot of upward bandwidth, and swiching time
2- it tells the spammer that its mail hit something

With rejected information I would sent 1000's outbound email
I do not whant my computer to overheat for spam.

You are confused.  There is not sent email.  the connection is rejected with a 550 error (I think it's a 550) and the comment as the text portion of the error.  There is no more, or less, bandwidth usage than a generic reject error.

A reject also does not tell the spammer they hit anything other than a mail server that will not accept email from them.  Also, it's just polite in the rare case that a real person gets into a blacklist (hey, it happened to my mail server, once) they know the mail was rejected and why.

Now, my comment message when I ran SIMS for the cn-kr blacklist was "Die Spammer SCUM" which, I admit, was not that useful.  But, in my defense, I was getting hammered pretty hard by cn-kr spam attempts at the time, and not knowing any of the 1.5Billion people in China/Korea, I was not worried about pissing anyone off.

dnsbl.sorbs.net    1095 catch
relays.ordb.org     102 catch
rhsbl.sorbs.net       1 catch
combined.njabl.org  261 catch

(maybe I can re-order them but how ?)

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, and list it first.

--
The Piper's calling you to join him