From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Authentication Attempts
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:50:33 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:01 AM -0500 11/30/04, Bill Cole issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
>At 6:26 AM -0700 11/30/04, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
>>Is there nothing that can be done about spammer attempts to
>>authenticate so as to relay through my SIMS server? Nothing to temp
>>ban the idiot after xx failed attempts?
>>
>>Do I just have to put up with it?
>In the end, protecting your own network is something you have to do on your own,  and that may well mean doing something like I do: drop port 25 packets from 61/8, 210/7, 218/7, 220/7, and 222/8 at the router level, along with a lot of smaller ranges.

I've never had a router of my own for my /28 subnet, though I have thought about it every now and then.

The main thing I'd use it for is blocking IP ranges and individual troublesome addresses. Might anyone recommend something affordable?