From: Mike Hebel <nimitz@nimitzbrood.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:40:00 -0600 (CST)
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>>I know this is OT but does your Speedstream "fall down" from time to
>>time?
>>  I mean need to be hard powered or logged back into the network?
>>We're using a 5861 which we got from SBC when we set up the
>>connection some years ago and it just seems to flak occasionally.
>
> It is very hard to see that, if indeed it is occurring, because I see
> roughly one failure per month on the SBC end for some hours, and
> every time I see that I try a full power-cycle of the router. This
> usually doesn't work the first time, but seems to be necessary after
> SBC fixes whatever they've screwed up. In other words, I see a
> failure on the SBC side that the 5861 can't recover from without  a
> power cycle.

This seems to be the same here - usually on the weekends.

> On the other hand, I see that no such incident has occurred in over 8
> weeks now,   and the last time I rebooted it was to make sure that
> some changes were truly saved, so it seems that whatever SBC was
> doing to their DSLAM that drove the router insane has not happened  for
> a while.

All I know is that SBC finally got my upstream right.  _Finally_.  128k up
blows.

> Link drops that come back on their own are a different matter, and I
> see them about 4 times a week. Sometimes they look like this on my
> central logging box
>
> Nov 23 22:37:32 dsl-router.scconsult.com 5861: PPP: remote <internet>
> does not respond to echo. Link closed
> Nov 23 22:37:41 dsl-router.scconsult.com 5861: DOD: connecting to
> <internet> using * over PPPoE/31
> Nov 23 22:38:09 dsl-router.scconsult.com 5861: DOD: connecting to
> <internet> using * over PPPoE/32
> Nov 23 22:38:33 dsl-router.scconsult.com 5861: DOD: connecting to
> <internet> using * over PPPoE/33
> Nov 23 22:38:37 dsl-router.scconsult.com 5861: PPP: remote <internet>
> will authenticate
> Nov 23 22:38:38 dsl-router.scconsult.com 5861: DOD: link to internet
> over PPPoE/33 is now up

These sorts of things usually preceed my having to power-cycle the router.

> The 'Link closed' message is pretty common. It means that the partner
> in the PPP session has gone dumb, maybe because it was rebooted. The
> next line indicating an attempt to reconnect is also normal, but
> almost all the time I only see one. In this case I saw three,
> indicating that while the underlying layers (DMT and ATM) were fine,
> the PPPoE (actually PPPoA) was dead for over a minute. That's
> definitely a provider-side problem (nothing got fiddled with on my  end
> at 10:38 on a Tuesday night...) and the router recovered normally.

I haven't had to call them in some time thankfully as these things
normally recover themselves.  It helps that they don't have access to my
router any more and can't just change things willy-nilly.  A note of
experience - if you're hosting mail or web make sure that you get listed
as a "Business Account".  You'll pay more but the service difference is
important.

>>To add an on-topic here I would suggest looking at a cheap PC with two
>>network cards and downloading Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org).
>>It's pretty simple to install and it can easily sit between any two
>>points and act as a good firewall.  You're going to have to learn how
>>to open up a couple of ports on it but that's a given if you're running
>>any mail server and a firewall of any type.
>
> That's certainly a reasonable option if one wishes to tinker. The
> consumer-grade routers are usually a cheaper and simpler choice for
> someone who wants a simple web interface, a tiny form factor, and no
> moving parts.

Point.  And since the Linksys routers run Linux under the covers it's not
too bad as a standalone solution for people.  Though I'm a little miffed
that you have to pay $40 to upgrade to a firewall version of the kernel on
some of those models.  Oddly my WAP11B is upgradeable to a firewall in
addtion to already doing MAC filtering.  It's more of a router than a WAP
really.  I find that odd for some reason.  *shrug*

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight