From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: Authentication Attempts
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:45:37 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>To add an on-topic here I would suggest looking at a cheap PC with two
>network cards and downloading Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org).
>It's pretty simple to install and it can easily sit between any two points
>and act as a good firewall.  You're going to have to learn how to open up
>a couple of ports on it but that's a given if you're running any mail
>server and a firewall of any type.

Just be careful if you aren't familiar with Linux and general routing
issues. Back when I looked at Smoothwall, I decided against it
specifically because the developers appeared to be actively hostile
towards anyone that dared ask a question on how to do something.

I personally was not willing to use a product that was going to get me
berated for not being as smart as the guys that wrote it.

They may have calmed down these days, or maybe I got the wrong impression
by reading the support newsgroups for the product. So this is really just
a "watch your step" warning.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>