From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:11:17 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:09 AM -0600 11/30/04, Dave Pooser issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
> > That's certainly a reasonable option if one wishes to tinker. The
>> consumer-grade routers are usually a cheaper and simpler choice for
>> someone who wants a simple web interface, a tiny form factor, and no
>> moving parts.
>
>And low power consumption and silent operation....

Points in its favor. I would prefer such a solution to running IPNR on another Mac, as I did when I was sharing the net on a dial-up modem.

What are some good choices for a silent, low-power dedicated firewall/router?

I hear that some can be hacked (firmware upgraded) which voids the warranty but which adds functionality.

Can anyone recommend one of these?