From: Mike Hebel <nimitz@nimitzbrood.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:44:03 -0600 (CST)
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

> At 3:57 AM -0500 12/1/04, Timothy Binder issued a series of ones and
> zeros which decoded as:
>>
>>You can run IPNR on the same Mac as SIMS, too. I did this successfully
>>for a while, along with Macjordomo and MacDNS, and maybe some other
>>stuff. (Yes, I'm dating myself.)
>
> I'd like a router/firewall that will protect others servers as well.
> Since SIMS is on an iMac... Besides, while I might trust IPNR on X to
> stand between the net and my servers, I wouldn't put an OS 9 box in
> that position.
>
> No, I prefer a dedicated, no-moving-parts solution.

Low Cost: Linksys Router with Firewall option.

More Reliability slightly higher cost: I'd actually suggest the
Speedstream that we've been talking about (or a similar model) as it
already has packet filtering in it by default.  It costs more but it's a
fully configurable business class router/firewall.  Good for most services
without a problem.

More Cost and Even Bigger Beef: A Cisco PIX firewall.  It's basically a
specialized PC but it has almost no moving parts - I think there's a fan
in the power supply but that's it - and it works damn well.

It all depends on the size of the network in question and what type of
incoming connection you're using.

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight