From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:03:00 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:44 AM -0600 12/1/04, Mike Hebel issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:

>More Reliability slightly higher cost: I'd actually suggest the
>Speedstream that we've been talking about (or a similar model) as it
>already has packet filtering in it by default.  It costs more but it's a
>fully configurable business class router/firewall.  Good for most services
>without a problem.

When a device says it's a 'DSL' router, that's just Ethernet, right?

>More Cost and Even Bigger Beef: A Cisco PIX firewall.  It's basically a
>specialized PC but it has almost no moving parts - I think there's a fan
>in the power supply but that's it - and it works damn well.
>
>It all depends on the size of the network in question and what type of
>incoming connection you're using.

I currently have a /28 subnet with only 4 servers and an Airport BS connected to the 16-port switch on my incoming Ethernet connection. The ABS does DHCP for the machines downstream of it (wired and wireless).

So, some of the Speedstream stuff looks good but much of it says 'DSL'. If 'DSL' just means Ethernet, it would seem that one of those Speedstream devices would be appropriate.

DSL = Ethernet? (We are quite rural here and DSL is not offered, thus I am not at all familiar with it.)